Tuesday, October 14, 2008

What has changed the most since 1967?

It's a question I find myself asking quite often these days.

It's apparent that America has changed -- indeed the world has changed -- since we picked up our diplomas in June 1967. Just a few things that come to mind -- home computers, fax machines, cable television, cellular phones, microwave ovens.

I remember that making a long distance telephone call seemed to be a big deal. Even in 1976, when my first wife and I lived in Vienna, Austria, it was $2.25 a minute to call from the States. When she was in Beijing for three months in late 1978, it cost me $10 a minute to talk to her.

Now long distance is free in most plans, and even internationally, Skype gets it done for pennies a minute.

That's just one change.

I'd like to know what you think are the biggest changes that have taken place in the last 41 years.

No comments: